ACTION MEMORANDUM FOR ALL AAS/SW AREA AND REGION COMMANDERS AND PRESIDENTS: FOR IMMEDIATE DISTRIBUTION TO ALL MEMBERS
SUBJECT: SUMMER INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITY AT AIR FORCE ASSOCIATION NATIONAL; LIMITED FUNDING
FROM THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTORS
1. The AAS/SW Executive Management Center is accepting immediate nominations for as many as four summer 2017 internships in Washington DC with the Air Force Association (AFA) at their National Headquarters. Candidates will be screened by the Executive Directors (EDs) and competitively selected by the EDs in collaboration with Human Resources at AFA.
2. Successful candidates will be required to live in the Washington DC metro area (Arlington) during this internship for eight weeks and will receive a small daily stipend of approximately $30/day. These opportunities are open to all Silver Wings and Arnold Air Juniors and Seniors, including Seniors graduating this summer.
3. These positions do not require a security clearance however recipients must submit to a criminal background investigation. Candidates must be available in the spring/summer/fall for a minimum of two months with actual internship timing negotiable with AFA. NOTE: THE PREFERRED DATES FOR THESE INTERNSHIPS ARE FROM 5 JUN THROUGH 28 JUL. This program is open to all academic majors, though some department opportunities are better suited to specific fields of study.
4. These internships may include travel and interaction with senior leadership in industry and government. They require impeccable dress and appearance and superior communicative skills.
5. A successful candidate will be placed at AFA is a position best suited to their academic major, professional development objectives and AFA requirements. NOTE: while the AFA will make every effort to match an intern to their major or area of interest, there may be some interns placed in a department where there is simply a need. The following are only possibilities, and candidates should be open to working across departments, as well.
Opportunities for students may exist within the following departments:
Communications and Development/Marketing
Experiences include outreach to potential donors, working in donor databases, annual/planned giving programs, marketing research and outreach. Communications interns will assist with projects such as development of communications plans and assisting with preparations for expansion of the Air Power Advocates Program. The intern will also gain experience with communication planning at all levels including research, execution and evaluation. The successful candidate will have excellent verbal and written communication skills and a can-do attitude. Suggested majors include public policy or communications.
After completing an internship with the CyberPatriot program, candidates can expect to have a better understanding of the overall program and the importance of reaching out to middle and high school students who are interested in cyber security. Areas of experience gained will include customer support, administrative communication, level 1 software and hardware technical support, executive writing, web layout, and marketing communication. The ideal candidate will have an interest in or will be pursuing a degree in STEM, communications or a related field. Highly motivated team players with excellent multi-tasking skills will be the most successful.
Air Force Magazine
This opportunity allows the candidate to walk away with an enhanced understanding of journalism, national security, and to work in the dynamic environment of the nation’s capital. Possible areas to gain experience include print magazine, including writing and editing copy; and the magazine’s online operations and social media outreach. Applicants must have excellent written and verbal communications skills. The ideal candidate should be working toward the completion of a graduate degree or have a recent graduate degree. Familiarity with journalism, the Air Force, or current national security issues is a plus.
Government Relations and/or Mitchell Institute
In addition to experience with basic administrative and office tasks such as creating spreadsheets and data entry, the candidate will have the opportunity to interact with senior Air Force and Congressional leadership. Other responsibilities include research projects related to defense policy and attending meetings on Capitol Hill. The possibility exists to see his or her completed report published in a small AFA or future Mitchell publication. Ideal candidates will be pursuing a degree in political science, history or a related field or have interest in these areas with strongest consideration given to junior or senior level students. Applicant should be a self-starter with ability to excel while working independently.
Air Force Memorial Foundation
An intern for the AFMF can expect to gain experience in communications, protocol and military ceremonies, small business management, community relations and exposure to the USAF and its supporting organizations. Examples of duties/activities include running the Memorial gift shop (indoor/outdoor), helping with promotion, reenlistment and retirement ceremony set up and tear down; protocol requirements for ceremonies, supporting the USAF Band Summer Concert Series (held each Friday evening May-September), and Patron Services at the Memorial to include giving tours and general office administration.
Member Relations/Airmen & Family Programs
Candidates will participate in the rewarding experience of working with the heart of AFA, our members, airmen and their families. Possible areas of responsibility include development and support of activities, data entry and analysis related to outreach, membership development and retention, and participation in events. Experience gained includes administrative support, outreach, communications, development and networking. The successful intern should have a cheerful and positive attitude, superb phone etiquette, and excellent writing skills.
Other internship opportunities within the AFA National organization, including the executive office and finance may also be available as the summer intern period approaches.
6. SELECTION PROCESS
The Executive Directors may or may not forward all nomination packages based on the submission and following a phone interview and discussion with the applicable Detachment Commander and/or reference provided by the candidate.
The following will be used to further evaluate individuals:
- MANDATORY: Availability during the spring/summer/fall of 2017 for a minimum of eight weeks (prefer 5 Jun to 28 Jul)
- MANDATORY: Availability in the Washington DC Metro Area; candidate must plan on limited funding with this program
- MANDATORY: Cumulative GPA of 2.75 or higher
- MANDATORY: Successful completion of a criminal background check
Candidates will self nominate by sending the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org NOT LATER THAN 20 FEBRUARY 2017 at midnight Pacific Time. SUBMISSIONS MUST BE IN THE FORM OF AN E-MAIL WITH THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION IN THE BODY AND NOT AS AN ATTACHMENT. THE ONLY AUTHORIZED ATTACHMENT IS THE UNOFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT. Late submissions will not be accepted under any circumstances.
- FULL NAME, ADDRESS, PHONE NUMBER AND EMAIL ADDRESS
- NAME OF COLLEGE OR UNIVERSITY, FIELD(S) OF STUDY AND GPA
- NAME OF CHAPTER OR SQUADRON AND LEADERSHIP POSITIONS HELD, IF ANY
- NAME, RANK, PHONE NUMBER AND EMAIL ADDRESS OF AFFILIATED DETACHMENT COMMANDER
- NAME, TITLE, PHONE NUMBER AND EMAIL ADDRESS OF ONE REFERENCE WHO MAY VOUCH FOR ACADEMIC RECORD AND PERSONAL RELIABILITY
- A STATEMENT PROVIDING THE DATES OF AVAILABILITY DURING THE SPRING/SUMMER/FALL PERIOD (SPECIFICS WILL BE WORKED OUT WHEN SELECTED BUT THE DESIRED AVAILABLE DATES ARE 5 JUN THROUGH 28 JULY)
- A COPY OF AN UNOFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT ATTACHED TO THE NOMINATING E-MAIL (THIS IS THE ONLY ATTACHMENT AUTHORIZED)
- A 300 WORD OR LESS SUMMARY DESCRIBING WHY THE CANDIDATE WOULD LIKE TO SELECTED FOR THIS OPPORTUNITY
7. These are highly prestigious internships; recipients will carry the reputation of AAS/SW forward with the Air Force Association, a critical strategic partner. All highly motivated eligible candidates are encouraged to apply.
//SIGNED//DPW//26 DEC 2016//