Air Force GSC & AETC Internships
ACTION MEMORANDUM FOR ALL AAS/SW AREA AND REGION COMMANDERS AND PRESIDENTS: FOR IMMEDIATE DISTRIBUTION TO ALL MEMBERS
SUBJECT: MAJOR AIR COMMAND INTERNSHIPS WITH GLOBAL STRIKE AND EDUCATION AND TRAINING COMMAND
FROM THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTORS
1. The AAS/SW Executive Management Center is accepting nominations for the following Major Air Command Internships (see additional information on each opportunity below Brig Gen Woodward's signature block):
• One position on the Headquarters Air Force Global Strike Command staff located at Barksdale Air Force Base in Shreveport Louisiana
• One position on the Headquarters Air Education and Training Command staff located at Joint Base San Antonio (Randolph Air Force Base)
NOTE: Students applying for internships in the Pentagon may also apply for these internships. Placement decisions will be made based on the best available match.
2. Successful candidates will be required to live in the Shreveport or San Antonio areas during these internships and must be able to participate without supplemental funding provided by the EMC (all costs will be borne by the individual). Students unable to accept this financial burden may apply under a "Funding Contingent Status" (please see NOTE below for additional information). These internships are open to all Silver Wings and Arnold Air Society Juniors and Seniors who are cadets under contact, including Seniors graduating this summer who will be commissioned and awaiting entry into active duty.
NOTE: There is a possibility AFROTC will place students on training orders, allowing for reimbursement of some expenses. Students may apply for these internships under a "Funding Contingent Status" (see below for additional details) but since funding may not be available until after candidates are selected, applying under this status may result in ineligibility when selections for these positions are made. Students with questions should contact their Cadre Adviser or Brig Gen Woodward through the EMC.
3. THESE POSITIONS REQUIRE A VALID SECRET CLEARANCE OR HIGHER. CANDIDATES MUST BE AVAILABLE DURING THE 2017 SPRING/SUMMER/FALL FOR A MINIMUM OF THREE MONTHS. AAS AND SW CONTRACT CADETS WITH A CLEARANCE PENDING MAY APPLY, BUT MUST CONFIRM IN WRITING THAT THE DETACHMENT COMMANDER BELIEVES A CLEARANCE WILL BE OBTAINED BY MAY 2017 IF THEY ARE SELECTED.
4. These internships may include travel and will involve interaction with senior Air Force leadership. They require impeccable dress and appearance and superior communicative skills. General Rand and General Roberson approved these internships.
5. SELECTION PROCESS
Successful candidates will be selected by the Executive Directors with concurrence of the Major Command and following a phone interview and/or discussion with the applicable Detachment Commander and/or reference provided by the candidate. An additional phone interview with a member of the sponsoring office may be required. The following will be used to further evaluate individuals:
• MANDATORY: Secret or higher clearance and be either an active SW or AAS Contract Cadet (see paragraph 3 if you do not yet have a clearance)
• MANDATORY: Availability during the spring/summer/fall of 2017 for a minimum of three months
• MANDATORY: Availability in the Shreveport or San Antonio area; if not applying under "Funding Contingent Status," candidate must plan on no funding for this program
• MANDATORY: Eligible member of AAS/SW with dues paid in full when the application is submitted
• MANDATORY: Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher, or 2.75 cumulative for STEM areas of study, or equivalent
Candidates will self nominate by sending the following information to email@example.com NOT LATER THAN 20 January 2017 at midnight Pacific Time. Late submissions will not be accepted under any circumstances. THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION MUST BE SUBMITTED AS PART OF AN E-MAIL AND NOT AS AN ATTACHMENT. THE ONLY ATTACHMENT PERMITTED IN THE APPLICATION IS AN UNOFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT.
• THE POSITION(S) FOR WHICH YOU ARE APPLYING (YOU MAY APPLY FOR ONE OR BOTH WITH ONE E-MAIL)
• A STATEMENT THAT ESTABLISHES THE STATUS OF APPLICATION; YOU MAY SELECT EITHER:
• APPLICATION WITHOUT FUNDING CONSIDERATION
• This provides maximum chance for selection; if ultimately funded by AFROTC, you will be placed on orders and reimbursed for some expenses
• FUNDING CONTINGENT
• This status will require us to have secured funding prior to your selection for this program, likely in early February...this is possible but not probable
• NAME, ADDRESS, PHONE NUMBER AND E-MAIL ADDRESS
• NAME OF COLLEGE OR UNIVERSITY, FIELD(S) OF STUDY, PROFICIENCY LEVEL (IF ANY) IN ANY FOREIGN LANGUAGE(S) AND GPA
• PLANNED DATE OF GRADUATION
• NAME OF CHAPTER OR SQUADRON AND LIST OF ANY LEADERSHIP POSITIONS HELD (IF ANY)
• NAME, RANK, PHONE NUMBER AND E-MAIL ADDRESS OF AFFILIATED DETACHMENT COMMANDER
• NAME, TITLE, PHONE NUMBER AND E-MAIL ADDRESS OF ONE REFERENCE WHO MAY VOUCH FOR ACADEMIC RECORD AND PERSONAL RELIABILITY
• A STATEMENT CONFIRMING POSSESSION OF A SECRET OR HIGHER CLEARANCE OR A STATEMENT AFFIRMING THAT THE DETACHMENT COMMANDER BELIEVES A SECRET OR HIGHER CLEARANCE WILL BE OBTAINED BY MAY 2017 (SEE PARAGRAPH 3)
• A STATEMENT PROVIDING THE DATES OF AVAILABILITY DURING THE SPRING/SUMMER/FALL PERIOD (SPECIFICS WILL BE WORKED OUT WITH THE SPONSORING AGENCY WHEN SELECTED)
• A STATEMENT INDICATING WHETHER OR NOT YOU HAVE ACCEPTED A NUCLEAR MISSION SCHOLARSHIP OFFER
• A STATEMENT INDICATING PLANNED AIR FORCE CAREER FIELD
• A 300 WORD OR LESS SUMMARY DESCRIBING WHY YOU WOULD LIKE TO BE SELECTED FOR THIS OPPORTUNITY AS PART OF THE BODY OF THE E-MAIL APPLICATION
• A COPY OF AN UNOFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT ATTACHED TO THE NOMINATING E-MAIL (THIS IS THE ONLY ATTACHMENT AUTHORIZED)
6. These are highly prestigious internship; candidates will carry the reputation of AAS/SW forward with the sponsor. All highly motivated, eligible candidates are encouraged to apply.
//Signed DPW//30 NOV 2016//