Introductory Parachuting Scholarship Program
|Cadet Sarah Duke||Irwin SQ||Samford|
|Cadet Andrew Smith||Hartinger SQ||USF|
|Cadet Swain Spearman||Sattler Chapter||Clemson|
|Cadet Madison Bell||Ryan SQ||Univ of TX-SA|
|Cadet Isaac McDermott||LeMay SQ||Ohio State|
ACTION MEMORANDUM FOR ALL AAS/SW AREA AND REGION COMMANDERS AND PRESIDENTS: FOR IMMEDIATE DISTRIBUTION TO ALL MEMBERS
FROM THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTORS
1. The AAS/SW Executive Management Center is accepting immediate nominations for a cash award introductory parachuting scholarship program to be available to all Silver Wings Civilians (Freshman through Senior) and to AS 300 and AS 400 Silver Wings and Arnold Air Society Cadets beginning in late December 2016. Cadets must have completed field training to be eligible.
2. This year, five scholarships are available with a value not to exceed $300.00 per scholarship.
3. SELECTION PROCESS
Candidates will be screened and competitively selected by the Executive Directors (EDs)
The following will be used to evaluate individuals:
- MANDATORY: Availability to use the cash award for parachute/jump training between December 2016 and June 2017
- MANDATORY: Member in good standing in Silver Wings or Arnold Air Society with dues fully paid at the time of application
- MANDATORY: Completion of an essay not to exceed 300 words explaining the reason parachute/jump training is desired
- MANDATORY: Unofficial transcripts that reflect a 2.5 (on a 4.0 scale) GPA (or equivalent) or higher in any field of study
- MANDATORY: Students selected for this scholarship must agree to to provide the EMC at email@example.com a photo of the skydive to aid in advertising for next year
- MANDATORY: SW Civilian Freshman through Senior or SW/AAS Cadet AS300 or AS 400 with Field Training complete
- MANDATORY: All Cadets must receive a safety briefing and counseling from their detachment that informs the Cadet of the increased risk involved with jumping and the possible consequences of injury
Candidates will self nominate by sending the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org NOT LATER THAN midnight 5 November Pacific Time. Late submissions will not be accepted under any circumstances. NOTE: EACH APPLICATION MUST BE SUBMITTED IN THE FORM OF AN E-MAIL WITH THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION PROVIDED IN THE ORDER BELOW. ONLY ONE ATTACHMENT IS PERMITTED: AN UNOFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT.
- APPLICANT NAME, MAILING ADDRESS, PHONE NUMBER AND EMAIL ADDRESS
- NAME OF COLLEGE OR UNIVERSITY, FIELD(S) OF STUDY AND CUMULATIVE GPA
- NAME OF CHAPTER OR SQUADRON AND AAS/SW LEADERSHIP OR STAFF POSITION HELD (IF ANY)
- NAME, RANK, PHONE NUMBER AND EMAIL ADDRESS OF AFFILIATED DETACHMENT COMMANDER
- A STATEMENT THAT CONFIRMS THE CANDIDATE AGREES TO PROVIDE THE EMC A PHOTO OF THE JUMP FOR USE IN ADVERTISING THE PROGRAM
- A STATEMENT THAT CONFIRMS THE CADET (IF APPLICABLE) HAS RECEIVED SAFETY COUNSELING AND THAT THE DETACHMENT APPROVED THE APPLICATION. NOTE: PERSONAL INSURANCE WILL BE IN FORCE FOR THIS ACTIVITY AND AFROTC/AAS/SW ASSUMES NO LIABILITY WHATSOEVER (APPLIES TO CADETS AND CIVILIANS). SUBMISSION OF AN APPLICATION INDICATES THE APPLICANT AGREES WITH THIS PROVISION.
- AIRPORT NAME (PARACHUTE TRAINING CENTER NAME), PHONE NUMBER AND E-MAIL ADDRESS WHERE THE APPLICANT WOULD LIKE TRAINING
- A 300 WORD OR LESS SUMMARY DESCRIBING WHY THE CANDIDATE WOULD LIKE TO BE SELECTED FOR THIS OPPORTUNITY
- A COPY OF AN UNOFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT ATTACHED TO THE NOMINATING E-MAIL. NOTE: THIS IS THE ONLY ATTACHMENT PERMITTED AND IT MUST BE ATTACHED TO THE E-MAIL APPLICATION.
Program Execution: The EDs will inform Detachment Commanders of individuals selected to participate. The EDs will provide funds directly to the parachuting center selected by the student in his/her name. Funds will be for one jump and not to exceed $300.
SIGNED//24 SEP 16//DPW